I am German because I was born in Germany. I am American because I was born again there. I combine two cultures and until recently I thought it to be a curse. It's not! It's a blessing to be a Germarican.

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Mr. President in Germany



President Obama is visiting Europe right now. He spent a couple of days in Germany. Interestingly enough he chose to visit former East Germany this time. The picture above shows him at the former Concentration Camp "Buchenwald" near Weimar. (Leslie, you've been to Weimar, remember?)

Obama was very cautious to meet up with certain politicians because he was aware of the fact that there were elections coming up (TODAY) and he did not want to participate in election campaigns (e.g. it looks good if a candidate takes a picture with Obama and such!). He condemned the Holocaust and remembered the victims at a ceremony held at "Buchenwald".

I just wanted to share this picture with you. It took it from The Washington Post, but it was also published in German newspapers.

I will keep you updated on the elections (local elections and EU Parliament election). First results will be in by 10 pm German time tonight.

Keep your fingers crossed that the far right wing nationalists didn't get too many votes!

1 comment:

  1. You know what is unfair? Obama always come to Germany when I'm way too busy and stressed out to go and try to see him. Last year, when he was in Berlin, I had a final coming up, this time (as you know) finishing this stupid BA Thesis.
    And if that's not enough I feel a writer's block coming up :( I already said good bye to my bed for tonight.

    ReplyDelete