I am German because I was born in Germany. I am American because I was born again there. I combine two cultures and until recently I thought it to be a curse. It's not! It's a blessing to be a Germarican.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

3 months later, 5 months to go...

It's 4 am in Germany and I am sitting here, drinking coffee, and all sorts of thoughts run through my head. I can't believe I still seem to be living on American time. IT's almost 10 pm in Ohio right now- they actually still live in my yesterday. How weird is that? It's still Adrian's birthday in the States... HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ADRIAN!!!!

In Germany it's already morning; the birds started singing and people get ready to go to work!!

It's so amazing to think about how the world is functioning. If I wanted to, I could just pick up the phone and call someone in the States. It would work, and the person I am calling would sound so close even though there are 3,000 miles between us. 3,000 miles and an ocean.

A couple of days ago Claudi and I climbed the highest building of Leipzig again. It was around 11 pm and we couldn't really see anything because it was kind of foggy. But we looked westwards and waved towards the United States. LOL. I can't even begin to describe how I felt. (despite being homesick...)

How amazing is it to be in Upper Sandusky, Ohio and to call the hubby with my German cell phone...!? How incredible is it to email- chat with Pam; she's having lunch and I am having supper!? I honestly have to say, I still stand in awe when I think about things like that.

Exactly 3 months ago I sat on a deck in Upper Sandusky with two of the most wonderful people I have ever met. Life seriously couldn't get any better that night. And now, 3 months later, I am spending time with the love of my life here in Germany. It feels like 2 different lives, but it is actually one life- MY LIFE. I still can't quite grasp how blessed I am. Even though living in two different worlds (literally) is, by far, the hardest thing to do- it also is so amazing and wonderful that I can't even find the words to describe it.

In 5 months I will be back, sitting on that deck (and I will, even though it's probably gonna be freezing cold), calling my hubby with my German cell phone. I will speak English and switch to German and back to English again... it will be the most natural thing for me, as always. And I will not question it and I will not even think about it- until maybe 3 months later.

I have met some really cool people the past couple of weeks; all of them were Americans from Ohio. They kept telling me I sound American, I act American, I have American values, I even look American (What does an American look like??? LOL)- they said "Lilly, you ARE American!". (Imagine my reaction- I almost started crying, go figure!) I know I have always said that I am more American than German. But to actually hear it from people that do not know me... that is just something else. I don't know where I am trying to go with this, but the truth is... I know that there are only a few things that might be considered "German" within me, even though it is highly questionable whether a stereotypical "German" thing even exists. (Yes, dear Americans, I am very sorry to inform you that "American things" exist! And even some stereotypes about Americans are so very true!! NOt so much about German things though...)

Okay, I know I am just rambling on- bottom line is: I can't wait to be back in Upper Sandusky, Ohio. I can't wait to sit on that deck, I can't wait to have American coffee (never thought I'd miss that...LOL), I can't wait to drink American beer (which actually contains more water than alcohol...LOL), I can't wait to go to Walmart, Wendy's, I can't wait to see all of my favorite people again... I just can't wait.

Wow, the sun is coming up in Germany right now... it should be dark by now in the States. Good night, America! Rise and shine, Germany! Hope you enjoyed your lunch, Leslie in Japan!!

No comments:

Post a Comment