I am German because I was born in Germany. I am American because I was born again there. I combine two cultures and until recently I thought it to be a curse. It's not! It's a blessing to be a Germarican.

Monday, June 8, 2009

Elections in Germany

The good news first: Matthias, who was running for our city Parliament, was re-elected!! This is a great accomplishment since our party tried to get rid of "the trouble maker" and therefore designated the very last spot on the electoral list. BUT he got an enormous response from the people (they voted for him like crazy!!!). We are very happy about this. Now, I can finally have muy hubby back -- he has been something else for the past weeks. Thank goodness it's finally over!

Unfortunately, however, the NPD (NeoNazis) also gained support. They even gained enough votes to send one person into the Parliament. I mean, it's only one person, but it's scary to see how the political landscape in Germany is changing again.

This local election is meant to provide an outlook for the upcoming state elections in August and the federal election in September!

As for the EU Parliament election: the Conservatives have won by a margin, which is a true setback for Europe. The Democrats, as well as the Socialists and other minor parties all lost some seats.

But seriously, I am just happy that Matthias is re-elected!

No comments:

Post a Comment