I am German because I was born in Germany. I am American because I was born again there. I combine two cultures and until recently I thought it to be a curse. It's not! It's a blessing to be a Germarican.

Monday, August 10, 2009

My mini- vacation might have been the best weekend of my entire life!







I can't believe my weekend, and therefore my mini-vacation, is over already! Time sure flies - especially when you are having the time of your life! Above you can find three pictures of Waren (Müritz), the city I went to. I didn't take those pictures myself, as you can maybe tell, I took them off the internet to show you the beauty of this place. (For those of you that live in Germany but have not been there yet: pack your bags and GO THERE!! Lol. It's so amazingly beautiful and totally worth a visit!)

Friday, August 7th:

I didn't sleep at all that night before leaving at around 5.30 am to go to the train station. My train left about an hour later and, of course, I was there too early but I had to get a train ticket anyways. Now, most of you know that I have spent tons and tons of money during my move and that I am literally broke now. That's why I wanted to use my credit card to buy the ticket in order to have at least 20 bucks or so for the weekend. BUT that stúpid machine wasn't able to process my credit card which is why I had to use my debit card. The ticket was around 70 bucks round trip and it really sucked because it meant that I didn't have a single cent on my account anymore... oh well, I couldn't change it so I used my debit card, got the ticket and waited another half hour for the train to arrive.
Since I knew I had about 6 hours of train ride and changing trains and stuff ahead of me, I decided to start writing a vacation diary (of course, I never finished it - in fact it only has one entry which you will find below!) So, the first thing I did while being on the train was writing this into my diary:

"6.28 am. I just started my mini-vacation. The train left Nordhausen 4 minutes ago and I am sitting here all by myself. The train heads towards a dusking sun and it couldn't be more beautiful. Even though it's still kinda cold out I'm fully prepared for summer: I am wearing shorts and a tank top. People looking at me right now would probably assume the right thing: I'm looking forward to spending time at the beach.
I didn't sleep at all last night which was probably not a good idea but I couldn't really help it. I pampered myself for hours though- I haven't done that in ages. I sat in the bath tub, reading a book, listening to music- it was wonderful and yet again I realized that being by myself is pretty awesome. I really, really, really enjoy my times of solitude and yet I am longing to be in the States all the time. It's weird because it's a contradiction really. Picturing myself in the States always involves people. It always involves being together with everyone...
The train just stopped in the middle of nowhere and I really start to wonder if something happened... man, that would SUCK big time. I have 2 or 3 connecting trains to catch! Who knows if I'll be able to manage... 5 minutes and counting now! Ugh! :("


Of course, all of my trains arrived late and I was constantly worried not to make it. BUT I did - I was totally exhausted when I arrived in Waren (Müritz) at 11.30 am. The moment I stepped out of the train I was so happy though. The air is just totally different. I could just tell I was near water and I was ecstatic. I took my little suitcase and walked up to the hospital where my friend Kathrin was still working. That Friday was her birthday which is why she got off work early to prepare the party and stuff. I walked up to her office, knocked and 2 seconds later we were both screaming, crying, hugging each other... we were soooo happy to finally see each other again!
We walked to her house and just sat in her backyard and talked for a little while (it wasn't quite the Italian Upper Sandusky feeling - but it came close to that!) before we started to get everything ready for the party that night.
Around 7 pm 25-30 people had arrived and it turned into a desaster- at least for me. I felt like I was the only person somewhat sober (not really, but compared to everyone else I was, I was constantly making sure everyone had something to drink, or I would clean up after certain people and stuff... I don't know. I mean, I had fun, but I surely didn't have a blast. By 2 am I decided to just go to bed - after all, I did have some sleep to catch up on! :)

Saturday, August 8th:

Little did I know, when I woke up around 1 pm, that this day would turn into the best day of my entire life. My goodness, I couldn't even really get up that morning. Kathrin and I had breakfast together and watched her husband clean the backyard. Kind of mean in a way, but then again I did my cleaning part... so nothing to be mad about. After he was done cleaning, we joined him outside and discussed what we wanted to do for the rest of the day. Thorsten, Kathrins hubby, wanted to go on their boat and sail away (talking about it always makes me wanna sing "I am sailing" by Rod Stewart...lol) but neither Kathrin nor I did really feel like doing that. I have to add that I once sailed with them and it was the worst water experience I ever had (mind you, water is not my friend - never has, never will be!). So, anyway, Thorsten was getting really mad at us for not wanting to go with him which was pretty childish (he is 44 - grow up!). I finally said that he could just go by himself and have fun... (you have to know, he likes to know exactly what his wife is doing!). He seriously left, without saying goodbye or anything. But Kathrin and I didn't really care... we showered and went into the old city center, actually right to the harbor, to have a coffee. We actually had one coffee and then each of us had two glasses of wine... the atmosphere was beautiful. We were sitting in a cafe overlooking water and just enjoying ourselves. I got so overwhelmed by the beauty of this moment that I seriously had to fight back tears. In moments like these I keep thinking about my favorite Americans and what a shame it is that they will never be able to see this, they will never be able to share this amazing sight with me. It really is sad in a way.
By 10 pm we actually wanted to head back home, but by coincidence we ran into people that told us about live music in a bar that we would have to pass anyways on our way home. We ended up staying in that bar until they closed around 2 am. It was so much fun. We had WAY too many beers... and at least Germans know the saying that you shouldn't drink beer on top of wine. Well... when I tried to get up from that bar stool I knew why - I couldn't walk anymore. Partly because I was laughing so hard, but I guess the alcohol really didn't help. Hehe. We walked home, which was only a 3minute walk, and sat down in their backyard again to drink some more... wow, now that I think about it it was a lot of drinking. But Kathrin and I were able to spill our hearts to each other that night- something that is pure luxury for us since our husbands are childhood friends and always make sure that we don't get to spend as much "girl's only" time with each other. (It's a pain in the butt - I can tell you that much!)Well, anyways, so we could just really be honest about where we stand in our marriages. It's great to have someone like Kathrin that is practically married to the same type of person because I don't have to explain anything. She just knows... and it's great to hear someone have the same problems. It really helped me to put a lot of things into perspective and to start thinking about what I wanna do about the issues we have.

Sunday, August 9th:

When I woke up I puked three times in a row. I guess it was my punishment for acting up the night before. I am sure I deserved this, but I have to say it was all worth it.
Sunday was the day I had to leave again and it felt so unfair. I mean, I know I will be back there in 3 weeks because my mother-in-law is celebrating her birthday (she lives there as well and NO, I didn't go see her....I know I am mean!) but it's not gonna be the same since Matthias will be with me and even my parents will stop by. That will mean it's pure stress and it won't have anything to do with vacation, that's for sure!
Anyway, I left around 5.30 pm and didn't get back to Nordhausen until after midnight.

I'm really sad my mini-vacation is over but I know I can live off the fun I had for quite a while. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment