I am German because I was born in Germany. I am American because I was born again there. I combine two cultures and until recently I thought it to be a curse. It's not! It's a blessing to be a Germarican.

Friday, January 16, 2009

8 years of unconditional love....

...and I am not talking about my hubby here! ;) Actually it is 8 years ago that I went to the States to be the nerdy, annoying and weird German exchange student. Well, okay, it's not quite 8 years....on July 14 it will be though. And since I can't wait till then (patience is really not one of my features!) I want to share some great stories about my exchange year with you right now.

In my 10 months of being in the States I met some AMAZING people. They probably don't know themselves but they have changed my life completely. Meeting them was a true blessing and I will cherish those times forever. This one year made me who I am today. I believe I became an accomplished person through this experience and it is YOUR fault as well. (I love talking to imaginery friends reading this blog...haha, I am still weird! LMAO)

Anyways, I wanna begin with talking about each of the very special people that entered my life. (I will probably not manage to name ALL of them, so please forgive me, but I will try to include everyone that still is in my life today...God, I really got myself into something now...*PRESSURE*)

Okay, here I go....this is not in any particular order...

Linds: MY SISTER!!! We first met at the Volleyball tryouts and she wasn't really into talking to me, I guess. I tried to start a conversation but she was a little....umm....let's say hesitant....not to say distant. LMAO. But after we met again in Choir we started hanging out. Thanksgiving was a another important date in our relationship and the next thing I know is I am slapping her over and over again in her parent's living room! LOL. Hilarious...(I hope all of you went to see our MHS play that year if you weren't in it anyways!?) I think Linds and I are kinda like twins because most of the time twins are completely different but they still belong to each other. Maybe that is kind of a weird comparison, but I just love her to death. We have so many great memories together which I will NOT share with you on here bc Linds would probably be a little upset...LOL! She made me see things I would have never seen without her and most and foremost she was the one that made me believe. I know that she was sent to me. I can't put into words what she has done for me (and keeps doing for me as a matter of fact). I am so grateful that she is in my life. I love you, sis!

PAM AND JERRY: (aka Katie and Tom...LOL) MY AMERICAN PARENTS!!! They made me feel like I am an actual part of their family and I feel right at home when I am around them. They have changed so much for me. They helped me become a better person and I appreciate everything they did and keep doing for me. They are amazing people and I am so happy I got to meet them. I just love and miss them so much!

JARON: (aka Poopy...well, sorry, I just HAD to put this down here...don't mean to humiliate you!) Actually, I don't remember why we came up with Poopy...oh, I think it happened that day when we we're being retards in Pam and Jerry's yard. LOL. Hilarious...when I look at Jaron I actually see how time has flown by bc he used to be the skinny little brother and now he turned into this grown up young man. He really reminds me of my actual brother (in fact, they would get along pretty well...). I just love that kid!

MADAME TERRI: Without her my life at MHS wouldn't have been nearly as much fun as it was!! She just cracks me up! A visit in the States without seeing her just doesn't seem right. She always finds the right words to brighten up my day and she is just so much fun to be around. If I could I would stuff her in my suitcase and take her to Germany with me!! LMAO. "And always bring cheeseburger..." I sure will!! ;)

LISA: Our adventures together could fill books!! My God, I don't know where to begin! "Wide open spaces.." that's one of the things I got to see because of her. Detroit, getting our nails done, her being almost pushed down a hill in a shopping cart, singing, dancing, doing forbidden stuff (hehe)...I could go on and on and on. We had so much fun together and I cannot thank her enough for being such a great friend. One of the funniest stories: She wrapped me as a christmas gift for our favorite French teacher....(just found the pics the other day)...but that's ONE of a billion great stories. She makes me feel free...and that is a very American feeling!! I love her to death!

JENNY: Jenny Jenny Jenny...my favorite skinny little bitch! LMAO. (That is actually a quote by her sister...lol) Jenny was just ALWAYS there for me: for the better and the worse. I am actually wearing one of the sweaters I stole from her! (Almost got the stain washed out!) LOL. She is just great to party with (oh yeah!!), but she is also a very reliable friend. Her family is so wonderful as well. I think Jenny coined the term "Germarican". Jenny always tries to see me every day while I am back in the States! That is amazing and I just hope it's worth all the sacrifices. Jenny D, you truly are a great great friend and I love you and your family.

ERIN: Sweetie, you are the best! Erin actually showed me how to crack my back while sitting in class. LOL. (I'm still doing this when I get bored in College) She is so nice and she always knows how to surprise me. She got me a cute purse and a Country CD because she knew I loved country and she actually remembered my love for Debbie Harry and Blondie after 5 years!!! (She sent me a book and I couldn't believe she remembered that!) She gave me a dress for prom and she held my going away party at her house! She is always calming me down which is really hard to do actually. I am so so glad that we found each other.

ASHLEY: Do I really have to say anything!? You and me...my God...we had a blast! I got always scared when she was driving (lol) but she didn't care. She left a football game early because I was freezing to death. She always did my hair and took good care of me. Her family and I get along so well, even after all these years. The funniest story at her house: New Year's. Lilly was really tired but then Ash put on her favorite song and that's when I started dancing while I was actually still in my sleeping position. Ash almost stopped breathing she had to laugh so hard. I even sat in one of her College classes...front row! We also held a belching contest one day! Fun times...

MARIA: I don't know if she remembers this, but she predicted my future in French Class one day! And you know what? SHE WAS RIGHT!! She said that I will be torn between two worlds and look where I am now: in the middle of Germany and the States. (not literally of course because that would mean I'm swimming in the ocean. LMAO) But she also said I will have a happy and fulfilled life with lots of new and interesting things to experience in the future. I just love her ability to use language. I keep track of her blogs and stuff and even though we haven't seen each other in quite a while now I still keep her close to my heart!

LESLIE: 25 days, hon!! I just loved our study hall together. She wanted me to teach her some German and she was really good at it! I knew she was going to be traveling the world and now she is in Japan. I cannot wait to create more memories and fun times. She will be in Germany in a little over 3 weeks. She is just so special, not only because she will be the first American friend to see how I live, but because she was always there for me. I just loved hanging out with her and I can't wait to pick her up from the airport!! I'm so excited!

MICHELLE: YOU ARE AMAZING!!! She is just so down to earth and a very special friend. She combines all these great qualities and is so much fun to be around. I remember seeing her at a party someone's house (oh yes, fun times...) and I will NEVER forget how she took care of everyone else that was drunk even though she couldn't actually stand up straight herself. LOL. No wonder she became a nurse. She is so considerate and I love her to death.

JOAN: This is by far the funniest story. Joan and I actually didn't meet till 2007 but we had been writing letters and sending packages back and forth for years! After I finally met Joan I just knew why Michelle is such a great girl! The Aller/Brose girls are just incredible!

Of course, there are still people missing on this list. For example, Juice, Jackie, Tiff, Billy (where in the world did he end up anyways?), Nick, David....the list goes on. I cherish the fun times we had and I will never forget you. Áll of you did so much for me and all of you helped to make my exchange year as great as it was!

Also, I don't want to forget mentioning the people from Germany that didn't forget about me while I was gone...you know who you are!...and of course Jeanny, the other Germarican...*lol*

Okay, now my fingers are numb!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! YOU TRULY MADE A DIFFERENCE AND I LOVE AND MISS YOU VERY MUCH!

I keep posting more great stories once I remember them. LOL!

Lilly

No comments:

Post a Comment