I am German because I was born in Germany. I am American because I was born again there. I combine two cultures and until recently I thought it to be a curse. It's not! It's a blessing to be a Germarican.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

"The purpose driven life" by Rick Warren

I am so excited. I received the book by Rick Warren today. I ordered it on Amazon the other day. For those of you, that have never heard of it: this book guides you through a 40-day spiritual journey to help understand God's plan and your very own purpose in life. Thus it will strengthen my relationship with God.

I just finished DAY 1 of my journey. This first chapter is called "It all starts with God". At the end of the chapter I came across a little story that reminded me so much of my own life. Warren introduces Andrei Bitov, a Russian novelist, who grew up under an atheistic Communist regime. (Please note the similiarities to my life!)Bitov himself then tells us how God came into his life one day. "In my twenty-seventh year, while riding the metro ... I was overcome with a despair so great that life seemed to stop at once, preempting the future entirely, let alone any meaning. Suddenly, all by itself, a phrase appeared: Without God life makes no sense. Repeating it in astonishment, I rode the phrase up like a moving staircase, got out of the metro and walked into God's light."

This is almost exactly how it happened for me. Okay, I wasn't sitting in a metro when it hit me. I was surrounded by people that I love very much. I remember it was a Saturday. Just any Saturday. It wasn't a special day. Just a plain, ordinary day. Yet, I finally let God into my life that day!!! What a glorious day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment